Saturday, December 19, 2009

Blackbird, friends and sharing of gifts to myself





Look very closely at this picture...a bit dark...but maybe you can see the blackbird box that is the centerpiece of the table. I found this most unique piece of folk art while doing some fun shopping at an antique store that grandson Jack and I found while on our recent adventure together and that I wrote about in another blog entry. Blackbird Crossing is the name of the company recently started up and that's centered around resale of arts, antiques and other collectibles. What a perfect symbol this blackbird is for this new company. This guy kept calling for me to bring him home, and I'm so glad I listened!

The friends in the picture came for dinner, and are another part of sharing in the fun rewards of not only this unusual and unlikely blackbird treasure, but are also part of a wealth of unfolding gifts of gratitude coming from all directions that I'd like to share.

I have another friend who I have helped with decorating and accessorizing over the years. She found six (all that she could find) colorful dinner plates that snatched up at very special bargain prices. She asked if I would find some complementary and co-ordinating dishes that might work with these plates. I loved their bright and cheery colors and was certain that I'd find many fun items to match.

And I did. At Pier I Imports. I took one of her square dinner plates with me and had a fun time matching all sorts of colorful square, round, brightly colored, brightly decorated items--all the way from small plates, salad bowls, soup bowls, serving pieces, stemware, placemats, napkins, candles, and all blending together, promising to make up a lively, lovely dinner table. I purchased everything I found with this friend and her dining room and dinner table in mind. So now, here I am with a wonderful dinner table collection that I loved. I set everything up on my dining table inviting her over to see whether these were what she had in mind. Imagine my surprise when I learn that she had not purchased these for herself but had given the dinner plates to me as a gift!

I really don't need more dishes, or glasses, or placemats or napkins, so I knew that I would never have made these purchases with myself in mind. But then when I set up the table, and discovered how much I loved the final result, loved how bright and cheery they made me feel, and then learned that the plates were a gift, I knew that I was going to keep them. This was such a special gift this friend gave me, and it was so much more than new plates and glasses. These new place settings have been the impetus and inspiration for the dinner party pictured above, as well as two more dinner parties.....small ones of course, with no more than six guests.....a number I've decided is a perfect number for intimate and manageable dinner parties. I realize that these dinner parties have helped me rediscover my joy for entertaining that I had sort of buried in recent times. I had moved away from any sort of entertaining these last couple of years as I allowed life events to squeeze out such activities. And an added bonus is that I had to do more decluttering, reorganizing and emptying out of cupboards to make space for this new set of dishes!

The treasures of the lovely dinner table settings and centerpiece are very much appreciated. As lovely as they are, the lovely treasures of friendship, family and love are the very best treasures that fill my heart with gratitude and love. And I love how everyone just has to smile when they see my most unusual blackbird centerpiece!








1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful visual of love .. thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete